Sunday, January 5, 2014

Regreso Aqui - Return Here

I'm catching up on our trip to date, so I'll try to catch up in the next week or so!
last minute pampering!
12/1/13
After spending an amazing summer exploring the US and visiting family and friends we settled in California to wait for our new grandson to be born. Family challenges kept us in the states until just a few days before Thanksgiving, so we decided to enjoy that with our girls and their families and we headed South the Friday after Thanksgiving.

We dropped our 5th wheel and truck off at a storage facility, and headed straight for Marcus's childhood hometown to spend a couple of nights with his best buddy Bill and wife Gloria. After 2 fun days, we headed to Newport Beach and spent the night hanging out with our Mexico cruising friends on a catamaran named Moontide.

From there it was Tucson to spend the night, and pick up a few last minute things. It took us much longer in Tucson to find what we needed and I tried to convince Marcus to spend one more night there, but he was too excited about getting back to Mexico, so we didn't cross the border till about noon.

I admit, while in the States, I became completely addicted to my smart phone. The ability to map, research, email and facebook anytime I wanted was just what this internet addict craved. Not that it was good for me, Marcus had a difficult time convincing me to look up from the screen during our travels. I suffered MAJOR withdrawals as soon as I was unplugged.

We had some trouble locating a hotel, finding ourselves at the back side of one the the recommended hotels I had researched I saw some “ladies” lounging on street corners, and we quickly decided to head back to a place we had seen on the main road through town. It was getting late, and we sure didn't want to be out after dark in an unknown city. As dusk arrived we finally checked into a place right on the main street of town. The lobby looked nicer than the rooms, but still it was pretty nice by Mexico standards, although the bed was HARD.

bed was as hard as cement, oh that's why!
We went out wandering to look for some dinner. There were a few gringo type places nearby, but we tend to like the little places, the street vendors and mom and pop places. I saw an interesting place just back from the street past an OXXO (like a Mexican 7-11), we met Carlos, the owner and set us up with some yummy tostadas. The beans are always so good in Mexico, YUM. Marcus asked for a beer, and I wanted water, Carlos said they didn't serve beer, but he would get him some. In little places like this they usually serve the beer in a bottle, but Marcus received his beer in a cup. The proprietor said it was beer from the cooks. Coors lite, hah!  Welcome to Mexico


No comments:

Post a Comment